Ministry of Labour & Social Security

: Home : Work Permit N.I.S. PATH

Work Permit


The Work Permit Section of the Ministry of Labour and Social Security is responsible for the administration of the Foreign Nationals and Commonwealth Citizens (Employment) Act and the Caribbean Community Free Movement of Skilled Persons Act (Copies of the acts are available at the Jamaica Printing Services. These Office of the Prime Minister on the Laws and Regulation Website).

What is a Work Permit

A Work Permit is a document (card) bearing a number and photograph that is issued to an expatriate which authorizes that individual to work in Jamaica according to its stipulations for a specified period of time.

Persons seeking to obtain a work permit are required to make an application to this Ministry through their prospective employer, contractor (individuals), the Jamaica Promotions Corporation (Jampro - Investors) or through legal representation.

The Foreign Nationals and Commonwealth Citizens (Employment) Exemptions Regulations 1964 lists the different categories of persons who are eligible to receive exemptions from the requirements of work permits.

: Home : : About Us : : Contact Us : : Important Notices :
Leave a question or comment regarding this website.
: ©2006 Ministry of Labour and Social Security :